Maintaining a dynamic, open, spiritual perspective

Sri. Easwaran reminds us:
In the first days of my youth I tried to find it in the creatures, as I saw others do; but the more I sought, the less I found it, and the nearer I went to it, the further off it was. For of every image that appeared to me, before I had fully tested it, or abandoned myself to peace in it, an inner voice said to me: “This is not what thou seekest.”
– HEINRICH SUSO
Physical attraction is not a firm foundation on which to build a relationship, for the simple reason that it is never constant. It sets in motion a cycle of expectation and disillusionment that can go on and on. 
The person who lives in a world of fantasy will often blame the other for letting him down. 
Perhaps, for example, Juliet expects Romeo to come to her balcony every morning and launch into, “It is the east, and you are the sun . . . .” Three days after the honeymoon, she feels crushed when she is greeted at breakfast with nothing more romantic than, “Where’s the toast?” 
Many relationships sputter because of just such inflated expectations, which demand of life something that it simply cannot give. We should not feel that close relationships are beyond our reach, but they are demanding. Through experience, we come to realize that in love nothing comes as easily as we expected. Everything beautiful has to be worked for.
_____________________________________________________________
This is a sobering truth. The nature of life is that it is ever changing, a fragmented and non linear dynamic. Life is a paradox, and is always a kaleidoscope of ever switching viewpoints and revealed truths. One must maintain an attitude whereby change is the constant, and learning/growth is the objective. 
Relationships are ever dynamic. 
Our perspectives and needs change. 
How do we keep an open mind( and heart)? 
How can I effectively and truthfully project my own expectations on the relationships that are important to me? 
By grace of the creator, I must listen to his voice and seek to obey.
----from the prophet Isaiah: "Though the Lord may give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself any more, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”
Lead me, Teacher, and keep me from harm.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baylor has need of Christ’s wisdom

You can do it! Yes you can.

Expecting God to show up(sic)